Privacy Notice – Pupils
The categories of pupil information that we collect, hold and share include:
• Personal information (such as name, unique pupil number and address)
• Characteristics (such as ethnicity, language, nationality, country of birth and free school meal eligibility)
• Attendance information (such as sessions attended, number of absences and absence reasons)
• Assessment information
• Relevant medical information
• Special Education Needs information
• Exclusions/behavioural information
• Personal information about a pupil’s parents and/or other relatives (such as name, contact details, relationship to child)
Why we collect and use this information
We use the pupil data:
• to support pupil learning
• to monitor and report on pupil progress
• to provide appropriate pastoral care
• to assess the quality of our services
• to comply with the law regarding data sharing
• To share data for statutory inspections and audit purposes
The lawful basis on which we use this information
We collect and use pupil information under
• The Education Act (various years)
• The Education (Pupil Registration) (England) Regulations
• The School Standards and Framework Act 1998
• The School Admissions Regulations 2012
• Children and Families Act 2014
• The Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014
• Article 6, and Article 9 (GDPR) – from 25 May 2018 (includes special category data)
The DfE process census data under the various Education Acts – further information can be found on their website: https://www.gov.uk/education/data-collection-and-censuses-for-schools
Collecting pupil information
Whilst the majority of pupil information you provide to us is mandatory, some of it is provided to us on a voluntary basis. In order to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation, we will inform you whether you are required to provide certain pupil information to us or if you have a choice in this.
Storing pupil data
We hold pupil data for varying lengths of time depending on what the information is. Please refer to the IRMS document ‘Information Management Toolkit for Schools’ February 2016. www.irms.org.uk
Who we share pupil information with
We routinely share pupil information with:
• schools that the pupils attend after leaving us
• our local authority (Cambridgeshire County Council)
• the Department for Education (DfE)
• Agencies we commission to deliver services on our behalf: None currently.
Data collection requirements:
To find out more about the data collection requirements placed on us by the Department for Education (for example; via the school census) go to https://www.gov.uk/education/data-collection-and-censuses-for-schools.
The National Pupil Database (NPD)
The NPD is owned and managed by the Department for Education and contains information about pupils in schools in England. It provides invaluable evidence on educational performance to inform independent research, as well as studies commissioned by the Department. It is held in electronic format for statistical purposes. This information is securely collected from a range of sources including schools, local authorities and awarding bodies.
We are required by law, to provide information about our pupils to the DfE as part of statutory data collections such as the school census and early years’ census. Some of this information is then stored in the NPD. The law that allows this is the Education (Information About Individual Pupils) (England) Regulations 2013.
To find out more about the NPD, go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-pupil-database-user-guide-and-supporting-information.
The department may share information about our pupils from the NPD with third parties who promote the education or well-being of children in England by:
• conducting research or analysis
• producing statistics
• providing information, advice or guidance
The Department has robust processes in place to ensure the confidentiality of our data is maintained and there are stringent controls in place regarding access and use of the data. Decisions on whether DfE releases data to third parties are subject to a strict approval process and based on a detailed assessment of:
• who is requesting the data
• the purpose for which it is required
• the level and sensitivity of data requested: and
• the arrangements in place to store and handle the data
To be granted access to pupil information, organisations must comply with strict terms and conditions covering the confidentiality and handling of the data, security arrangements and retention and use of the data.
For more information about the department’s data sharing process, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/data-protection-how-we-collect-and-share-research-data
For information about which organisations the department has provided pupil information, (and for which project), please visit the following website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-pupil-database-requests-received
To contact DfE: https://www.gov.uk/contact-dfe
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, parents and pupils have the right to request access to information about them that we hold. To make a request for your personal information, or be given access to your child’s educational record, contact Huntingdon Nursery School office firstname.lastname@example.org .
You also have the right to:
• object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
• prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
• object to decisions being taken by automated means
• in certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and
• claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
If you would like to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact:
Huntingdon Nursery School: email@example.com.